I’ve been recording the books I read on goodreads and making a top-ten(ish) list since 2006, so in anticipation of publishing my 2013 top ten on December 31st, I’ll be posting my older lists here. The numbering is only an approximate order.
1. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
3. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
4. The Magician King by Lev Grossman
5. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
6. How to Read the Air by Dinaw Mengestu
7. The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris
8. The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai
9. The Zero by Jess Walter
10. Mr Peanut by Adam Ross
How many books did you read this year? 121.
How have these books stood the test of time? There were other books I loved, but this is a pretty good list. Except, I realised as I posted my 2012 books that I left Wolf Hall off this list! Mr Peanut would probably go to make room for it.
Mr. Peanut would have been much better if that middle part hadn’t gone on so long, but even so, it’s no Wolf Hall.