I’ve been recording the books I read on goodreads and making a top-ten(ish) list since 2006, so in anticipation of publishing my 2013 top ten on December 31st, I’ll be posting my older lists here. The numbering is only an approximate order.
1. An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender
2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
3. Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann
4. How to Buy a Love of Reading by Tanya Egan Gibson
5. The Magicians by Lev Grossman
6. Natural Flights of the Human Mind by Clare Morrall
7. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
8. The World to Come by Dara Horn
9. A Love Story Starring my Dead Best Friend by Emily Horner
10. Skippy Dies by Paul Murray
How many books did you read this year? 107.
How have these books stood the test of time? I’m assuming I used Mockingjay as a stand in for the whole Hunger Games trilogy, but even so, I’m not sure I’d include so many books about teen girls now. Maybe I’d replace 4, 7, and 9 with The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood, Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem, and Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger or The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter.